Winter

Friday, November 15, 2013


I was asked to say something to her, so I did the best I could. "We're all here mom, we're with you and we aren't leaving. We love you very much." I don't think she could hear me, but her children -- my wife and my sister-in-law -- they could. So I tried to think of something to say that would comfort them. "We're really going to miss you. We'll see you soon." She took one last soft breath and the room went silent. I don't know how long we stood there before the hospice nurse came back in. It seemed, like so much in life, to have been too short. I felt like I should have said so much more.

The death of my mother-in-law hit my wife and me pretty hard. She had been battling Melanoma for a decade so it wasn't necessarily a surprise, but we were not prepared for it. Not at all. What was strange was that it didn't hit us right away. For months we went through the motions of sorting out the funeral arrangements, cleaning up the house, contacting friends and relatives, purchasing airline tickets, dealing with the estate sale, and handling all the tax issues that accompany this sort of thing. Shirley left us on August 1, but it wasn't until Thanksgiving that we fully realized that she was gone. On the day normally spent laughing around her dining table, eating the delicious food she had prepared, and discussing upcoming Christmas plans -- instead of turkey and pie and laughter and joy... instead, we wept.

2012 had marked the 3-year anniversary of her passing, and just like the previous years, it was the holiday season, not August 1, when the remembrance of Shirley's passing was strongest. I remember going for a ride the night of Christmas Eve. My wife was spending some quality time at her father's so I had a couple hours to myself. I had originally planned on riding out River to where it turns into Thornydale and then turning back. But instead I continued up Thornydale to Tangerine, over to Oracle and then back down to River. The detour wasn't added because I wanted more miles, but because I was out there thinking about, and greatly missing my mother-in-law.

River-Tangerine

I remember how cold it was that night. I was wearing a long-sleeved jersey and long-fingered gloves, but I was still cold. It was a quiet night too, with most everyone at home doing the Christmas Eve family thing. I stopped at a church parking lot on Tangerine to text my wife and eat a Clif bar. The service had just ended and so I sat, watching people walk to their cars and drive off. After a few minutes the chill was to my bones. I shivered, put the wrapper in my jersey pocket and rode away, disappointed that the cold weather would likely mean less riding in the coming months. I pedaled hard to get my heart rate back up, and was rewarded with the return of a little bit of warmth.

This morning I sighed when I stepped outside. It's starting to get cold again, and already I can tell that my beautiful wife is thinking about her mom. It will be Thanksgiving soon, and then Christmas, and then New Years -- and I know there will be tears in the near future. We all have seasons in life that are tougher to get through than others. It's difficult when there's nothing much you can do but suffer through it and wait for spring. I wish there were something I could do to fix it, but I can't -- no more than I could make the winter days long and warm. Winter will always have days that are cold and dark and quiet; days that will require arm warmers and toe covers and skull caps. Days that will remind us that a loved one is gone.

But we can still get through it, and we can even have a little bit of warmth in it.


We just need to pedal.


11 comments:

  1. Its interesting, you think that over time the memory will fad but it just becomes bearable instead. When I was twenty something my best friend passed and even after 10ish years I still think about him. Its one of those things that shapes your life. It's funny, he was a hard core rodie almost the whole time I knew him. I couldn't afford a bike and it really didn't interest me to get dressed up in those stupid cloths. I always wonder what kind of crazy bike adventures we would have gone on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been tough, sounds like he was young when he passed. You're right about the memories not fading, we just seem to transition from sadness to nostalgic memories.

      Delete
  2. Buzz, thanks for writing this. My little brother and his wife died just about 1-1/2 years ago and I adopted his kids (7-8 years old). I think of him everyday. He was invited to the Olympic Training Camp to try out for the Olympics in boxing so I used to tell people that I would have my little brother beat them up if they didn't leave me alone. Well, I have two other little brothers that box...guess I'm still safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy I had no clues. Bless your heart my friend.

      Delete
    2. Jimmy, I'm proud to call you my friend and I may not be the best boxer but I've got your back too! Just don't pick fights with any big guys...

      Delete
  3. Evening Buzz. I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss. My family and I have been affected by melanoma as well. I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma 9 years ago and this week, my wife had a bcc (basal cell carcinoma) removed which required a skin graft. The last nine years have been some of the most scary as well as blissful years I've been blessed to be a part of. Believe me, you don't always feel yourself getting stronger, smarter or faithful but you do. I wish you and your family the best during this holiday season. Thank you Buzz, very insightful, I look forward to a ride with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manny, I too look forward to riding with you (hopefully very soon). My wife and I will pray for you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Buzz, sorry to hear about your loss. I understand...hope this holiday time gets a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just woke this morning earlier then wanting, thinking of my mother in law who died one month today. It has been hard here in our house and in our family. She died at a hospice called Peppi's House by the TMC of lung cancer. During the week of her being in the hospital and hospice. I too had similarities of riding extra miles pushed of thoughts and emotions for her. When I read this in bed this morning, it was confusing because I thought this was my story or possibly one of my brother in laws who wrote this. We all surrounded her bed in her final breathes and spoke with her. Reading this I didn't even realize this email from SPP was from you Buzz. Already feeling a spritrual tie to this story and then clicking it fully open and realizing it was you, was really uncanny. Shared this with my wife Regina and this was a good moment in a hurting time. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. How strange bro, I didn't know she passed. Please tell Regina that my wife and I will be praying for both of you guys. I remember how helpless I felt at first because my wife was just broken and I couldn't do anything but hold her. Turns out that was all she really needed.

      Delete
  6. Thanks guys. I almost didn't post this because I didn't want to be a downer to anyone. It's strange how when we know we aren't the only ones struggling, it makes the difficulties seem much easier. I know that I push myself harder on those tough climbs when I'm surrounded by friends who are pushing just as hard. There's camaraderie in our suffering.

    The holiday season is definitely tough when we've lost loved ones, but I think it helps remind us to really appreciate the time that we have with family and friends that are still with us.

    I wish you all a blessed winter season and can't wait to suffer on the hard climbs with you all soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very much appreciated